Thursday, February 14, 2008

Twitter

I don't think I would much use this entity. For one thing I don't really care what everyone else is doing at every moment. I would prefer for them to edit and contact me with the important stuff.
I looked at Hannah's Twitter posting since I know her from working at BI, and I thought that she posted things of interest - mainly to people in her personal life for her practice Twitter. Then I looked at Dulcigal and was very impressed that this one had actually started Twittering back in September. That's a long term commitment!
I think there is some usefulness for this tool. I was trained in the good old days of reference books, and questions often took longer to finish, so we had a standard procedure of up-dating people as they came on shift. Sometimes things were passed on verbally, other things were put onto clip boards. Still others were in Pending files. I think a group of staff working a branch reference desk could Twitter to get the word across to peole off desk. For one thing, they could Twitter "Hey John Doe left their county mental health card in the copier. I put it in the wire basket." Or a brand new policy change could be Twittered out to all staff in a branch. A communications tool used for work. Could be good

No comments: