Monday, February 4, 2008

Wikis

I have been a long term user of Wikipedia, albeit with some trepidation, since the anyone can edit feature is troublesome. I wonder about authority and accountability. That said there are some great features in wikis. I love that anyone can edit them when you are a group trying to get something done. I'm on a non-profit board and I can see how this would really help us avoid getting lost in the email threads. Right now we have trouble seeing what is really going on.

I enjoyed doing things in the Sandbox also. I was dubious about my ability to bring in some special effects, and was pleased when I not only up-loaded a picture of mine of koi but also figured out a way to change it from huge to bite-sized.

Our library uses for this are also interesting. I likes Stevens county's books lists and could see us adding lists of the various Northwest history books held in different branches. I also think patrons would like to be able to see things in a neat one page format that are difficult to search in Sirsi: e.g. the newspapers that we own on microfilm and where they live.

No comments: